Sunday, August 7, 2005

A Watermelon Grows in Queens

When I was 4 years old my Mom and I lived with my grandparents in Jackson Heights, New York. I used to have this little spot in the back yard where I just liked to dig and dig. One day, I decided that it would be neat to grown my own watermelon, so with Grandma's help, I planted some watermelon seeds. I watered them every day and they actually sprouted. One day, Grandma took me out to the spot and there sat a nice big watermelon. I was so proud, I told people about it for years.

Okay, so I'm a little gullible. I was at least in my twenties, if not my thirties, before I found out that Grandma put that watermelon there. There was pretty much no chance that the scrawny little sprouts were ever going to produce a fruit. Although I may be a little disappointed that my thumb is not as green as I once thought, I think Grandma's little deception is a great example of how God loves us.

Grandma put that watermelon there because she loved me and wanted to see me happy. Not only was she not worried about a "thank you", she didn't want me to even know she did it. How much greater must God's love be for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment